The Sierra Vista Historical Society was formed with the desire to help preserve the history of Sierra Vista, it’s citizens and its environs. Our Mission Statement:
The mission of the sierra Vista Historical Society, Inc., a 501 (c)3 organization, is to collect and share artifacts concerning the natural and cultural history of the Sierra Vista, AZ area, and to provide financial assistance to Henry F. Hawser Museum. Â Key programs include: Preservation and upkeep of the Fry Cemetery, a National Historic Site; operation of the Henry F. Hawser Museum Gift Shop which supplies supplemental funds for the museum; researching and placing historically significant plaques in our city; recording oral histories of persons who have contributed to the history of our area; holding events to raise funds for the construction of a new museum in the City of Sierra Vista, and hosting the Sierra Vista Genealogy Club, a project of SVHS.
Projects undertaken by the Society include:
- Listing of the Fry Pioneer Cemetery on North 7th Street on the National Historic Register
- Historic PlaqueÂ research and placement on historical buildings and sites in the West End of the city
- Affiliation with the Henry F. Hauser Museum at the Ethel Berger Center
- Sierra Vista Genie Club, which meets the first Wednesday October – May
- Fundraising for a new city museum
For more information, visit ourÂ contact page.